Chicago Public School Cafeteria Butter Cookies
1 cup softened butter
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons vanilla extract (I sometimes use lemon extract)
1 pinch salt
4 teaspoons sugar (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cream butter and sugar until fluffy.
3. Mix in vanilla extract.
4. Mix in flour gradually.
5. Using a small cookie scoop, roll dough into balls and slightly flatten on ungreased cookie sheets.
6. Flatten cookies with the bottom of a glass dipped in sugar if desired.
7. Bake until golden brown (approximately 12-15 minutes.
8. Makes about 2 dozen.
Here is my ritual when I go to Chicago. I fly in, pickup my rental car, and head to White Castle Hamburgers! It does not matter if it is morning, noon, or night, I gotta have ‘em.
Update: The above photo has been added to the White Castle Hamburger website photo banner. I am very honored.
Hello everyone! I am in Chicago again this weekend. It is bitterly cold here. I will never complain about it being 50 degrees in Oakland again. That is a heatwave compared to here. I am here visiting my mom who has lung cancer. She is in good spirits and comfortable. She told me last night that I was not was not invincible and that I needed to rest. She is right as our mother’s are always right. Thanks for your thoughts and prayers. Much love to everyone.